Thursday, October 18, 2007

I roasted spuds and thought i was pro

Oh my gosh it's been a month since my last post here!!!! It's not that I haven't been cooking (although I haven't cooked a huge amount), it's that I haven't been blogging about it. BAD me, BAAAAAD! In the four weeks since I last wrote here, I've learned a few new things and bought a couple new books. Which I've barely cracked, I might add.

Anyways...here's an easy one I learned: herbed up roasted potatoes. I was watching Bobby Flay make a greek dinner and he made greek potatoes. I took some of what he said and...of course...changed it a bit. So my spuds weren't so greek in the end. It only took a few minutes to prepare this in my new food processor, so it's a keeper that I'll do again. Hrmm...maybe I'll make this tonight for tomorrow's lunch.... Anyways, I went to Save on and bought some fresh Rosemary, some fresh thyme and some baby dill. I had a bag of little baby potatoes in the house. By the way, I believe we were eating pork chops as the main that night? Anyways... I stripped about 7 or 8 sprigs of the rosemary into the food processor. I added a bunch of the thyme and the baby dill, and about 4 cloves of garlic. Er...4 pieces. I put in a half a cup of extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of pepper and a fairly healthy bit of coarse sea salt and turned on the spinner for about 15 seconds. Voila. Done.

I put the mixture into a large bowl, tossed in the spuds and mixed it up really well. I put the potatoes into a pyrex casserole thingy and popped them into the oven at 450 for about 20 minutes. That's it. They were done. I loved them, but Ruth thought they were a bit too herb-y. I think that if I had used bigger potatoes and cut them, it might have been more to her liking. And maybe I'm guilty of putting a bit too much of the mixture on...there was certainly a fair bit in the bowl.

One thing I might try next time is to sprinkle a bit more oil on the potatoes or in the bottom of the pan I'm cooking them in, just to give it a bit of crispyness on the outside. I don't know, maybe that would be too greasy? I'll have to experiment. In Bobby Flay's recipe he also had a healthy dose of lemon juice in the mixture; I'll try that one day too, but not til I'm cooking lamb.

1 comment:

femme said...

sounds yummy.

by the way - you were correct in saying 4 "cloves" of garlic. garlic as a whole is a bulb and the many cloves make up the bulb.

just so's ya knows. ;)